Quantcast

Mar 22, 2012

Booking Through Thursday

Anything You Can Do, I Can Do Better...


Thursday is probably one of the better days of the week.. It's one day closer to the weekend ~ in other words we can see the light at the end of the long, dark tunnel.. 

Booking Through Thursday is a 'weekly meme about (mostly) books and reading..' 

This week's question asks:

Ever read a book you thought you could have written better yourself?

I'm working on a book, only have a couple of chapters (peace and quiet is a rare state of things in my house lately), and it's a blast to do. I'm not sure what it's like to get to the end, having hundreds of pages to organize and edit, but I'm quite positive it's not an easy task. That being said, I also think that if an author lives and breathes their story, it will come alive to the readers. There's one book that made absolutely no sense to me, a jumbled mess of dramatic events that hardly ever tied together... 

If I had been the editor Lauren Kate's Fallen series, I would have thrown the manuscript back at her and told her to get her thoughts organized. Maybe that's a little harsh... but she would write this whole mysterious, tragic event in Luce's life, leaving us wondering what really happened only to move on to the next tragic, self-inflicted mess, hoping we'd gasp in astonishment and forget all about our musings.. (*Clears Throat* Like Luce's first kiss who mysteriously died in flames and shadows instigated by Luce, sending her to the institution in the first place... what, how, why???? O but no one cares about that guy anymore because Daniel is supposed to give us enough to think about and drool over...) Nothing was ever resolved and romance was used to distract from the storyline (I'm a sucker for it too, but if it sacrifices a good story, it seems a little cheesy to me)..  As much as I had looked forward to it, I was so disappointed and found myself thinking of different ways the story could go that would make more sense... 

But you know what... she's published, I'm not.. So, as much as I'd like to, I really couldn't say that I would have written it better... 

(P.S. The sad thing is... I'll probably read the fourth book out of curiosity.. The series made me so mad mostly because it had such potential and I wanted it to be what it could have been!!! The idea was awesome, the execution, not so much... Why suffer through another? Because I'm hoping Lauren Kate will change my mind and I'll be ashamed of all my ranting...)

Happy Reading Everyone :)

~ Keely ~


5 comments:

  1. LOL!! I ALMOST want to read this just to see what you are talking about...but...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe if you treated it like a comedy.... lol :)

      Delete
  2. Ha!! I will totally read the fourth book. There are just some series that no matter how bad or good they are you just have to read to finish them off. Great answer. here's my BTT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! Gluttons for punishment I guess... :)

      Delete
  3. I'm not a writer and would never attempt to write my own book. But, there are books that I'd have like to have edited, and refused to publish before some major changes were made.
    Good luck with your book.

    ReplyDelete

I so appreciate you taking the time to comment :) It really means so much to me!! Thanks for stopping by!