Quantcast

Mar 5, 2012

55 Questions About Reading




Thanks to Stuck in a Book for this template I am using because I have nothing else I can think of to write about this morning :) This reminds me of one of those surveys everyone used to have on their Myspace page before Facebook took over the world... wow, that makes me feel old... This should be interesting...




1. Favourite childhood book?




As if you didn't think I was weird enough, the book that comes to mind is Billy Baker's Dog Won't Stay Buried. I read it I don't know how many times between fourth and 8th grade. I wonder what happened to that book?







2. What are you reading right now?
I'm reading World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War. It's interesting so far ~ I'm about 40% of the way through and it tells the story of the 'zombie war' from the point of view of people being interviewed. Not bad :)


3. What books do you have on request at the library?
None at present.

4. Bad book habit?
Sometimes I'll start a book only to finish it a year later. If you're not into it, you're not into it right?

5. What do you currently have checked out at the library?
Nada... I don't like checking out books from libraries... It's too hard to bring them back! When I've read a book, I want to see it on my bookshelf to read again as I please.

6. Do you have an e-reader?
I have an iPad on which I use my favorite Kobo app. I still love the feel and smell of a real book in my hands though.

7. Do you prefer to read one book at a time, or several at once?
Usually I'll read two at a time, but I try not to go more than that.

8. Have your reading habits changed since starting a blog?
The only thing I can say that's changed is I read a lot more. Also, book recommendations and reviews have probably affected the books I choose to read ~ that and GoodReads. Right now, I'm trying to diversity my reading palate.. But it's hard to get out of your comfort zone :-/ 

9. Least favourite book you’ve read this year (so far)?
I've loved all the books I've read this year, so I'll go with 2011 ~ I'll say, without a doubt, Beautiful Beings by Kailin Gow... It was all over the place and didn't make any sense whatsoever... 

10. Favourite book you’ve read this year?
This year, I'd have to say... Legend by Marie Lu... AMAZING!

11. How often do you read out of your comfort zone?
Rarely, but that's not to say I'm afraid to..

12. What is your reading comfort zone?
This is a vague question... I could say snuggled under the covers in bed... or I could say I typically read books containing some kind of mysterious element... if it gets too real, I might get uncomfortable...

13. Can you read on the bus?
I can read pretty much anywhere and everywhere... If it's a good book, I don't hear anything...

14. Favourite place to read?
Like I said, snuggled under the covers... or in a bubble bath..
15. What is your policy on book lending?
I'm pro-book-lending...

16. Do you ever dog-ear books?
Yup, only if I've lost my bookmark again...

17. Do you ever write in the margins of your books?
Never... but with an e-reader, I do take notes... 

18. Not even with text books?
That's a whole other story... but it also depended on the book... If it was a nice new textbook that I knew I'd keep for future reference, then no.. but typically, writing in the margins helped me remember where information was located within the thousands of pages being read.

19. What is your favourite language to read in?
English.... :)

20. What makes you love a book?
There isn't just one thing in particular... it's a combination of things.. Originality is probably the biggest selling point for me though...

21. What will inspire you to recommend a book?
I listen to the types of books they like to read and go from there... Just because I love a certain book, doesn't mean they will...

22. Favourite genre?
Paranormal fiction or YA...

23. Genre you rarely read (but wish you did)?
umm... if I wish to read something I usually read it... but my historical fiction quota has yet to be filled this year...

24. Favourite biography?
Don't read biographies... 

25. Have you ever read a self-help book?
Nope... 

26. Favourite cookbook?
I love The Pioneer Woman ~ she's a riot :)

27. Most inspirational book you’ve read this year (fiction or non-fiction)?
The Ice Queen by Alice Hoffman... I can't say it changed my life, but I read it in one sitting, and all I can say is it was incredibly moving..

28. Favourite reading snack?
hmmm... don't usually eat when I'm reading,  but sometimes while I'm eating lunch at work, I'll make a few glances at my current read...

29. Name a case in which hype ruined your reading experience.
Never... If it sounds like a book I would like, it usually is...

30. How often do you agree with critics about a book?
Usually but not always... 

31. How do you feel about giving bad/negative reviews?
Sometimes, I just can't help it... Life's too short to read bad books... It keeps people from wasting their time.

32. If you could read in a foreign language, which language would you choose?
French

33. Most intimidating book you’ve ever read?
The Stand by Stephen King ~ First, it's incredibly long (took me a couple of months to read), that and it's so bleak, you have to take breaks from the gloom and doom.... but, in the end, it's totally worth it :)

34. Most intimidating book you’re too nervous to begin?
I'm never nervous to begin a book...

35. Favourite poet?
Poe, Shakespeare... other than that,  I don't read a lot of poetry..

36. How many books do you usually have checked out of the library at any given time?
Nada...

37. How often have you returned books to the library unread?
Hence the reason I don't check out books from the library.. you're time is limited...

38. Favourite fictional character?
The one that comes to mind is Katniss Everdeen of The Hunger Games ~ not your typical female..

39. Favourite fictional villain?
I'd have to say Dexter ~ the wonderful creation of Jeff Lindsay ~ I know he's not really what many consider a 'villain,' but he's not all good either ~ and you can't help but love him

40. Books you’re most likely to bring on holiday?
They wouldn't be any different than books I would read on any other day...

41. The longest you’ve gone without reading?
Maybe a day or two.. I usually can't go too long without it...

42. Name a book that you could/would not finish.
Tower of Parlin Min. Great ideas in need of polishing...

43. What distracts you easily when you’re reading?
Other people in the house...

44. Favourite film adaptation of a novel?
True Blood and Dexter... I know they are shows - not movies - but I enjoy the shows so much better than I enjoy the books ~ and that's extremely rare...

45. Most disappointing film adaptation?
Bag of Bones ~ Stephen King

46. The most money you’ve ever spent in the bookstore at one time?
I'd say around $50... I usually only buy what I'm going to read next... I don't outbuy my ability to read...

47. How often do you skim a book before reading it?
Never... That would spoil the whole point..

48. What would cause you to stop reading a book halfway through?
Boredom.. It's rare that I won't finish a book.... You never know if it could get better

49. Do you like to keep your books organized?
Nah.. I just put them where they'll fit on the shelf

50. Do you prefer to keep books or give them away once you’ve read them?
If I really enjoyed the book, I'd rather keep it.. to be honest, it's hard for me to let any of them go permanently

51. Are there any books you’ve been avoiding?
If I'm avoiding them, then I probably won't read them ~ reading is the one thing I have control over... I wouldn't waste time reading a book I didn't want to read...

52. Name a book that made you angry.
Most recently, Article 5 ~ but it was mostly the female character, not the book itself... she was an idiot most of the time... 

53. A book you didn’t expect to like but did?
If I don't expect to like it, why would I read it?

54. A book that you expected to like but didn’t?
Beautiful Beings by Kailin Gow again... Great synopsis ~ bad execution...

55. Favourite guilt-free, pleasure reading?
All my reading is guilt-free... why would I be ashamed of something I enjoy? Because of what other people think? BAHAHAHAHA!



Happy Reading Everyone :)

~Keely~

No comments:

Post a Comment

I so appreciate you taking the time to comment :) It really means so much to me!! Thanks for stopping by!